Moretum recipe: taste the ancient Roman cheese spread!
The moretum was a popular cheese spread back in its day which can be recreated by following this recipe:
- Get a mortar and a pestle.
- Peel 2 to 3 garlic cloves depending on how much garlic you want in your spread, cut them in small pieces.
- Put the garlic in the mortar and crush it with the pestle.
- Add a little salt.
- Grate 3 to 5 ounces of Romano cheese.
- Mix the cheese with the garlic.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of white wine vinegar and mix it all.
- Get some sprigs of coriander leaves and chop them in small pieces.
- Mix it in the mortar.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of dill and mix.
- Optional: you can add other herbs and spices such as oregano, pepper, rosemary.
- Pound until you get a paste.
is ready to eat with bread.
For more ancient Roman recipes, take a look at our Roman cook book.
Return from Moretum Recipe to Homepage
If you want to correct this page or just leave a comment, please do so in the box below.